This week the AR-15 Podcast hosts Reed Snyder and Jake Challand take listeners back to basics on the AR-15 platform.
They also discuss some of the most popular upgrades and sighting systems.
In addition to discussing the AR-15s basic parts Snyder and Challand review the list of parts going into the AR-15 video blog build and address listener feedback.
Welcome to episode #2 of the AR15 Podcast. I’m your host Jake Challand from Gun Guy Radio. This is THEE podcast about youuurrrr favorite black rifle! This show is for you; whether you’re building your first AR or you’ve been building ARs for years. There’s something we can all do to take our black rifle to the next level.
Main Topic: Basic parts of the AR-15 Platform
- Upper – “Zombie Hunter” Upper Receiver
- Lower – HSA-15 Lower Receiver w/Buttstock
- Fire Control Group – http://geissele.com/hi-speeddesignatedmarksmanrifledmr.aspx
- Bolt Carrier Group/Assembly – AR-15 Bolt/Carrier Group
- Gas Block vs. FSB – Low-Profile Gas Block, .750″ Barrel http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Front-Sight-F-Marked-p/front%20sight%20base%20-%20f%20750.htm
- Flash Hider/Flash Suppressor – .223 Phantom Flash Suppressor
- Muzzle Brake (Loudener…)Claymore Muzzle Brake 5.56
- Iron Sights
- A2 Upper and non-F marked FSB (FSB=Front sight Base)
- A3 Upper Detachable Carry handle and F marked FSB (F is for Flat top)
- rail mounted front and rear sights (think magpul, troy industries,
- knights armament , etc…)AR-15/M16 MBUS GEN 2 SIGHT SET, Black http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XKA25650&name=Knight%27s+Armament+Micro+Flip-Up+Rear+Sight+200-600m
- Accessory Sights
- Scope Trijicon AR-15/M16 4 X 32 Special Forces ACOG Scope
- Holographic http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/electronic-sights/holographic-sights/holographic-sights-xps-exps-series-prod30942.aspx
- Reflex (red dot) RM04 Dual-Illum. RMR Sight, 7 MOA
- Laser Modular Vertical Foregrip, AR-15 Red Laser Light Combo
Most Common upgrades:
Yancy: Hey guys I mean zack and Steve. I could use a show on optics. How much, is it one of those thing that “you get what you pay for, I too am in the process of building an ar. I a cheating a little by using a in good shape older A2 as the donor now working on the different optics I can add. Think about running an small fixed power scope on the handle and then a red dot on the side. Thanks for all you help and the check is in the mail!
Paul: I just finished listening to the first AR-15 podcast tonight.It was great! Really informative, and the combo of guests you had really made for a great show. A lot of what you guys are going over actually can apply to your most awesome listeners………(Canucks)
Larry: Is there a way to download the ar-15 podcast to my ipod? I want to listen to it at work instead of over my computer. Also if you didn’t talk about it in the first episode could you talk about converting the ar-15 over to the 300 blackout and what that is? I have only heard about doing it but know nothing of it. Thanks